A look at how I cover events with these commencement packages for social media (with filming assistance from Gustav Deutsch and Eric Smith) garnering tens-of-thousands of views on Facebook.
Reporter Alex Chan, who writes for the LA Times and Daily Pilot, visited the 2016 Southern California Commencement ceremony for Brandman University for this story and feature photos about a 64-year-old graduate who has had quite the journey: http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-0529-brandman-grad-20160528-story.html
It was a pleasure to work with reporter Laurie Perez on this feature for CBS News in Los Angeles. Laurie visited the Brandman University Southern California commencement ceremony because of a graduate from the Santa Maria campus. Monica Careyette went from rock bottom to college graduate, and shared her deeply personal story as the student speaker, with the compassionate judge who changed her life by her side. The single mom overcame addiction to thrive and turn her life around.
More from Joe
- This 64-year-old is about to graduate from college
- From rock bottom to college grad: Monica’s story
- New Grant Brings Journalism Innovation Opportunities for ASU Cronkite Students
- My Response to Kanye’s Twitter rant about textbook costs
- A special video for Valentine’s Day
- Help wanted: education career events draw hundreds
- New Year’s Resolutions Campaign for 2016
- Why aren’t more working adults pursuing a college degree? New survey reveals insight into barriers
- How did you get that national news coverage?
- National buzz about Brandman University